Is it a Cold or the Flu?
Yes even in sunny southern California we have cold and flu season. We not only have seasonal coolness and the need for sweaters and jackets but even when it’s still hot, like now, it is once again cold and flu season. People are already showing up with viral illnesses. I thought I would give you a few tips on how to avoid colds and the flu. And if you do get a cold or the flu how to make yourself feel better.
Colds and flu are more prevalent this time of year because we spend more time crowded indoors and subsequently spread whatever virus we have to each other. The viruses that cause colds and flu are transmitted by respiratory droplet mechanism. In other words, someone who has a virus coughs, breathes or sneezes their virus into the air which happens to land in the nose of another person.
The virus then travels down to the nasopharynx (throat behind your mouth) and sets up camp.
This is when you may notice you are developing a scratchy or sore throat. It is from here that the virus replicates and begins to move into your entire system. This is where zinc lozenges come in – as soon as you notice your throat getting sore start on the zinc and take them every three to four hours in the first couple of days (an example is Cold-eeze).
The zinc has been shown to literally gum up the replication of viruses and eliminate or reduce the spread depending on how soon you catch them. I recommend always having zinc lozenges around during cold season cause you never know when it will start.
I like to be proactive and if I have been exposed to a virus I start taking the zinc lozenges, immune boosters and vitamin C to prevent myself from catching it. I also recommend and get the flu shot myself. It is safe and high risk people or kids should definitely get one.
Preventative tips: Zinc lozenges every 3 to 4 hours (if exposed), Vitamin C 1000 mg 2 times a day and do not get chilled. Remember your mother telling you not go outside with wet hair or without a jacket? Doctors of Chinese Medicine would agree with your mother. They say getting chilled can lower your body’s outer defenses (your wei chi) and allow a cold (perverse wind) to enter your body. Stay warm and cozy and keep your body’s outer protection up against colds and the flu.
Of course good hand washing also goes a long way since you can touch a place someone with a virus has touched, rub your nose and get inoculated with the virus that way.
If you do end up catching a virus I prescribe freshly made chicken soup. Scientists actually found that chicken soup has interferons, which are substances that interfere with virus production.
So once again Mother was right. Other tips: Miatake mushroom extract and/or Astragalus (herbal) 2 times a day, Vitamin C 1000 mg 3 times a day, Zinc lozenges 4 times a day, plenty of rest. In addition to the best lines of these products we also stock a great new addition to Dr Randall’s Cold prevention formula called Ultimate Defense.
If you do happen to be unlucky enough to catch one of these nasty little viruses Dr Randall offers intravenous vitamin C plus immune boost that can pull you out of an infection or tail spin.
- Graduated University of Nebraska Medical School
- UCLA Hospitals and clinics – Residency & Gastroenterology fellowship
- Board Certified Internist, Board Certified Gastroenterologist
- Board Certified American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine
- UCLA – Associate Professor of Medicine – one of our nation’s first physicians to introduce and teach Complimentary & Alternative Medicine to medical students.
- Director of the Medical Procedures Unit – West Angeles Veterans Administration hospital.
- Integrative and Holistic Co-director – Malibu Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Director of Integrative Health – Miraval Life in Balance; Miraval is a top ten destination spa in Tucson, Arizona
Voted number 1 spa in the world by Conde Naste. (Oprah’s favorite!)
- Executive Director of Guest Services – Rancho La Puerta Healing Spa, Tecate, Mexico
- Head of Medical Services – Passages Alcohol and Addiction Rehabilitation Center, Malibu, California 2006-2012
- Co-Director – Golden Branch Wellness Center, Woodland Hills, California
- Director, Randall Wellness Center, Woodland Hills, California